Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Arch - 300-word Story to Go with This Pic




                                      "The Arch"
Taken from my current work-in-progress, "If I Loved You". 
 “Do you know the stone arch in the ramble in Central Park?”
“I try to stay out of the ramble, I always get lost there,” Megan confessed.
“Don’t worry, I know my way around. The arch is my lucky place.”
“Lucky place?” She raised her eyebrows and picked up her pace to match his long stride.
“I have visited the arch before every lucky break I’ve had.”
“And you’re going there for luck with your Broadway audition?”
Chaz laughed.
“Why else?” She asked, glancing at him as they slowed down.
“My secret.” He leaned over and planted a quick kiss on the tip of her nose.
When they reached Eighty-First Street, Chaz steered them to the left and they ducked into the park, passing the silent, empty Diana Ross playground, wending their way deeper and deeper into the shadowed parkland, dotted with benches and spring flowers in bloom.
She moved closer to him and he draped his arm around her shoulders. They wound around the maze of park paths with Chaz in the lead.
“You do know you way around here, don’t you?
“Told you.” He steered her to the left.
“Take many girls to the Arch?” Megan peered at him in the fading light.
“You’re the first.”
She slipped her arm around his waist and moved up against his side.
He stopped suddenly and pointed. Megan raised her gaze.
“How do the stones stay together like that?” She stepped nearer, staring at the structure.
He shrugged.
“No idea.”
“It’s a work of art.”
“One kiss in the arch, then let’s go.”
They got up, joined hands and walked under the arch. Chaz eased her close to him, his  lips found hers in a demanding kiss. They were so close together even a piece of paper wouldn’t slide between them.

For information on my books and my free read go to my website.
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO TUESDAY TALES. 

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Beautiful scene. I'm happy to see them so close.

Karen Cino said...

You turned the arch into such a romantic place. Can feel the love between them.

Sherry Gloag said...

I love your tale and the atmosphere you create around the arch.
Is it just that, an arch? It reminds me of a narrower version of so many old railway bridges here in the UK.
I think some of the smaller guage railways here would even pass under it, narrow as it looks.

Carolyn Gibbs said...

Very romantic, Jean. I like the dialogue, it sounds so natural.

Iris B said...

Love the scene, Jean.
I agree with Sherry it reminds me of many bridges I crossed over in the UK or Ireland.