Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "KNIFE"

Here's a little mealtime conversation from my WIP, The Dating List. Janice and Delia are sisters-in-law.

 “You’re a great cook, Janice…of course you don’t know crap about fabrics or colors…but you’re an expert with food.”

 “Don’t kid yourself, Delia. I know plenty about fabric and colors. Enough to know that the supporting cast at the wedding should wear yellow. Make Carrie look good.”
“In case you haven’t noticed, Carrie doesn’t need any help looking good. She’s gorgeous. She could wear a burlap sack and still be the prettiest one in the room. And I’m not wearing yellow,” Delia chimed in.
            “You don’t have to be in the wedding, either, Delia. I mean if the bride chooses yellow…I mean, it’s her choice…”
            “Right mom. And I’m not choosing yellow. Not fond of yellow. It’s a hard color to wear. And I wouldn’t do anything to keep Delia out of the wedding party.”
            Janice made a face but kept eating.
            “The carrots are overcooked.”
            Carrie sighed.
            “What color did you have in mind for the bridesmaids?” Leah asked, cutting a piece of potato with her fork.
            “Raspberry or turquoise. Those are universal colors. They look good on everybody, right, kid?” Delia piped up.
            Carrie nodded, chewing her meat slowly.
            “You should let her decide, Delia. After all, it is her wedding. You’ve had one and from what I’ve heard…have a number of men lined up for number two.”
            Delia dropped her fork and knife with a clatter. Grey winced at the loud noise.
            “I don’t know what people have been telling you, but I’m not about to get married. No man can equal Jackson Tucker – present company excluded, of course.”
            “My brother was an amazing man,” Harv put in.
            “Not that I couldn’t have my choice of a second husband. Believe me, there are plenty of men interested…”
            “I’m sure they’ve been busy sampling the goods first,” Janice said.
            “Can I help it if I’m a desirable woman? You make that sound like a bad thing, Janice. How’s your sex life, anyway? Probably a bit dried up, I’d imagine.”
            Several people at the table gasped. Colin put his head down, focusing on his food. Leah blushed while Carrie paled.
            “Mom, Delia, please.”
            “Tell us all about it, Delia. Any pointers? I’m sure the younger people at the table would benefit from your…your…expertise.”
            “Are you asking, Janice? Because if you are, I’d be happy to give you some advice, privately. I know how to please a man. Do you?”
            “Delia!” Carrie gasped.
            “And so do you, Carrie. Obviously or you wouldn’t be about to marry this fabulous sexy man sitting here,” Delia added.
            Grey could feel the color start up his neck. Delia, are you drunk?
            “How about those Knicks?” Colin asked.

9 comments:

Christina Cole said...

Oh, my! What a dinner-table conversation that was! A great read, Jean.

Unknown said...

I would have definitely been embarrassed at THAT dinner table. It'd be fun as an observer though. lol. GREAT post this week!

V.L. Locey said...

Ouch, those were some sharp barbs flying! Well written Jean.

Karen Cino said...

I loved the dinner conversation. It's realistic. Definitely something that would transpire at my dinner table. Love where this story is going Jean.

Lindsay said...

That's an interesting conversation and I feel sorry for Grey

Sherry Gloag said...

Wow, I don't think I'd want to return to that dinner table if I were invited.
Great scene

Carolyn Gibbs said...

Wow, great zingers in there, Jean between Delia and Janice. Love that the extended family is adding spice to the story.

Unknown said...

I had to wear an iridescent blue bridesmaid dress. It looked like a giant bruise with the mandatory huge bow on the rearend.

Davee Jones said...

I could feel myself start to slink under the table...very enjoyable word volley.