1. The world's first Skyscraper was built in Chicago, 1885.
2. Metropolis the home of Superman really exists in Southern Illinois.
3. Illinois was the first state to ratify the 13th Amendment to the Constitution abolishing slavery. 1865.
4. The ice cream "sundae" was named in Evanston. The piety of the town resented the dissipating influences of the soda fountain on Sunday and the good town fathers, yielding to this churchly influence, passed an ordinance prohibiting the retailing of ice cream sodas on Sunday. Ingenious confectioners and drug store operators obeying the law, served ice cream with the syrup of your choice without the soda. Objections then was made to christening a dish after the Sabbath. So the spelling of "sunday" was changed. It became an established dish and an established word and finally the "sundae".
5. The world's largest cookie and cracker factory, where Nabisco made 16 billion Oreo cookies in 1995, is located in Chicago.
Information courtesy of 50states.com
To check out my books, click WEBSITE