Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2013

TUESDAY TALES - WORD PROMPT "WAVE"




 Hi and welcome to my Tuesday Tales story. This is a continuation of my work-in-progress, THE BIG LIE:
            With her stepmother’s death, Dale had no way to confirm her suspicions about the lie. Then she remembered Anna used to confide in her best friend, Jonesy, the administrative secretary at Kensington State. 
After washing her face and reapplying makeup, she headed over to the university. One o’clock. Lunchtime. She sat down on a bench outside the building where the sixty-ish lady worked and waited. Within ten minutes she was rewarded for her patience when she saw Jonesy strolling toward the main entrance.
Dale whistled and waved. Jonesy returned the wave.
“How you getting’ along, honey?” The older woman asked, plopping her generous butt on the bench next to Dale.
“Been better. I need to talk to you. To get the truth about something. Can you stay for a minute?”

“Sure.” Jonesy’s friendly expression turned to one of worry and unease. “Shoot.”
“About Cliff’s marriage…”
Jonesy’s brow knitted. “I told her not to do it. I did. We argued about it several times. But she went ahead anyway.”
Dale felt dizzy. Her throat closed up, stopping her breath. Jonesy took her hand.
“Are you all right? You’re mighty pale.”
The younger woman shook her head. When the tears started to flow, Jonesy gathered her into her arms. Within a few minutes, Dale had recovered her speech.
“She lied. She lied about his marriage, didn’t she?”
Jonesy looked away. “Wondered if you’d figure it out. Now…it’s too late.”
The confirmation of her worst fear was like a heavyweight punching her in the stomach. Again she couldn’t breathe. What might have been. Oh my God. What might have been.  

10 comments:

V.L. Locey said...

Oh my, such sorrow in that excerpt. Well done!

Sarah Cass said...

Oh my goodness...poor Dale! Whatever could be the reason behind this lie. I hope they're able to make it past to find out what can be since they can't have what might have been.

Unknown said...

great emotion!!

Trisha Faye said...

Caught up in the emotion; I want to cry along with her.
You always find the best pictures to go with your posts.

Lindsay said...

What great emotion in this scene.

Iris B said...

Such an emotional post ... Hoping that it isn't too late!

Davee Jones said...

that drop in the pit of her stomach is the worst feeling ever. i hope Dale finds some peaceful resolution.

Jillian said...

I'm loving this story so far. Very intriguing.

S.E said...

I hate when people use lies to manipulate others. I hope something could will come her way.

Tricia said...

Oh, my heart just broke with Dale's. So much emotion. I loved it! I can't wait to read more!