Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Welcoming Beth Carter

I'd like to welcome Beth Carter who has come to talk about the importance of book covers. Welcome Beth!

A Cover Says it All


The first thing that draws our eye is beauty.  And beauty is everywhere; the color and texture to a painting, the sun setting in the horizon, a favorite actor or actress, and in simple things like the smile of a child or the sparkle of a diamond ring.  Is it no wonder, then, that the cover of a book must be absolutely perfect to set apart from the competition and draw the buyer’s eye.

I will admit I have bought a book solely on the cover.  The book I bought was Forbidden by Evangeline Anderson.  It was about two angels sent to earth and the cover blew me away when I first saw it.  Luckily, it was a wonderful story, so I didn’t have to suffer with buyers remorse. 

Now-a-days, with the cost of books, a story has to take full advantage of every strategy to grab the readers’ attention.  The cover has to incorporate a lot detail, so it’s very important that the cover artist bears in mind not only the story, but the artist themselves.  Most publishers won’t consider that far, only content with producing a sexy look to market the book.  I think I’ve been very fortunate that the two publishers I’ve worked with have actually listened to my ideas, my feelings, because the work I’ve produced is not just a thing to me, it’s alive.  I’ve breathed life and soul into each story, and I appreciate the artists who take the time to listen what I envision.

In my upcoming novel, Kismet, I had pictured ‘green’.  Toward the end of the book, when the hero, Kris, and the heroine, Evie, are declaring their love, they are locked in a passionate embrace deep in the Louisiana Bayou.  So I told that vision to the artist and she came up with a truly beautiful cover.

There are certain covers that jump out at a reader and proclaim “Buy me now!”.  One such cover is Stacey Espino’s Saving Grace.  There is a haunting depth in the model’s eyes that makes you want to know how to save her.  It’s the type of cover all writers hope we get.

It is said a picture is worth a thousand words.  Even in the digital evolution of e-books emerging, a cover is one of the most important aspects of giving personality to the story.  It guides the reader into seeing the hero and heroine, bringing them to life and adding depth to the drama unfolding.  All of which is needed for that brief time where the reader escapes into fantasy.      

-Beth D. Carter

4 comments:

Havan said...

I agree . . . the old adage don't judge a book by it's cover just doesn't hold water in the literary world! lol

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Kallypso Masters said...

Great topic, Jean! Thanks for sharing, Beth!

I loved working with my graphic artist friend on my first two covers. I just chose the images of the characters (because I knew best what they looked like). Then I gave her an idea of story content, symbols, etc.--and she went to work. I'm not a visual person, so I never would have come up with what she did.

Of course, mine are erotic romance, which has to have the "hot" factor. (I was in charge of hot in choosing the "models." I LOVE MY JOB! LOL. I don't know if my link takes you to my blog or not, but both are there at http://kallypsomasters.blogspot.com.

Now if only I can get my friend to go into the business, she could do covers for lots of other folks, too. (I'm working on getting her out of the closet!)

Beth D. Carter said...

Hi Haven and Kallypso! Thanks for the comments! And thanks to Jean for letting me guest blog with her!

Kally, I went to your blog! Super hot cover, great job! Your friend should definitely work as a cover artist!

Cheers!

-Beth

Bree said...

Covers absolutely help sell books. A good cover artist is worth his/her weight in gold.